Archive for the ‘Fashion Forward’ Category
International Bridal Week and New York City, on their own each of these two things excite me and put a little pep in my step…. Together they are AMAZING and keep me glowing for days! Today’s Fashion Forward Friday is a recap of my week in “the City”. I hope you enjoy these images as much as I enjoyed taking them! New fashion, old and new friends AND LOTS of new inspiration.
The view of New York City from the Penthouse of the London Hotel.
Sareh Nouri wedding gowns waiting for the next showing.
A lovely Sareh Nouri dress.
An intricate sash embellishes this beautiful Sareh Nouri gown.
A stunning Enchanted Atelier necklace.
I enjoyed talking millinery fashions with the fabulous Melissa Bolin, founder of Kitty Andrews Millinery
It was a full house at the Martha Stewart Party!
Who doesn’t like a bedazzled white pizza?
One of the many stations at the Martha Party. Mini-manicure anyone?
Sandy Patangay designed this amazing wedding cake – Creme Delicious is just that!
I had a wonderful time and came home with notebooks full of ideas and a camera full of great photos. I can’t wait to share more about my travels to New York and the amazing designers & inspiring trends we have to look forward to this coming year.
At Something Fabulous we are big on PINK… it’s one of our official colors loved by our little Fabulettes-In-Training to the Fashionista herself. It’s the color of little girls, sassy girls and even a brother-in-law or two who have discovered the color’s flattering effects. And, twice a year it becomes more than a fashionable color. Twice a year we are reminded to Think Pink in recognition of the effects and realities of Breast Cancer.
In February we celebrate the blessing of being cancer free.
In October we are reminded of the importance of Early Detection.
Last Thursday we hosted our annual Girl’s Night Out in Downtown Rochester and we were honored to collaborate with Sharing & Caring, an organization that supports women and their health. We passed out self breast exam cards, information on their annual Breast Health Fair and our message
“Early Detection is even more fashionable than that little black dress”.
We shared our story, Jennifer’s Story…
These are the words that I was told by my doctor’s office when I went to them, concerned about the lump in my breast; The words spoken to me when I was denied my first request for a mammogram and ultrasound. I wasn’t satisfied with these words, so I went to another doctor.
These are the words that I read when I received the results of that first round of tests. No explanations, no cause for alarm, just two words and a check mark on a form that I received in the mail. I carried that piece of paper around for almost six months with a nagging feeling that I needed more answers than the one given me. NO ABNORMALITIES!
It’s true that I was just 32 seemingly healthy, fit and at my ideal weight. I had no family history of breast cancer, but I had a nagging feeling and a certainty that there was a lump in my breast and it WAS abnormal. This certainty sent me back to the doctor and on to a surgeon who offered me the option of a biopsy. The next words that I heard were,
“Jennifer, you have Breast Cancer.”
At the time of the above picture, I was five months into my battle. Had I not been persistent it wouldn’t have begun. (After the results of my first tests I was told to return in three years.) Who knows what that would have meant for me? One thing I am certain is that, had I not started self breast exams in my twenties, I would have not known that the lump I felt in my early thirties wasn’t normal. It’s true that monthly self breast exams can save your life.
Today, I am a survivor. Married to the love of my life who supported me through my battle. Even more amazingly I am the mother of a 1 year old little girl. When I speak to other young women about Breast Cancer my most passionate message is “know your body and be your own advocate”. Education and awareness is what we need to expose the popular Breast Cancer myths of today, and to make popular the often unknown facts that can save lives. To women going through the battle, do not lose hope… you are not your breasts. They are just a small part of your most beautiful whole self.
I can not stress enough… “Early detection is more fashionable than the little black dress!”
For more information about Sharing & Caring or for other Women’s Health Resources, contact Linda.Lintner@beaumont.edu .
Share this story with someone in your life.
With Summer here and the bright sun shining, what better time to find the perfect summer hat! With so many styles to choose from we decided to share a few of our favorites.
1. Wide Brim Floppy – Who doesn’t love a wide brim floppy hat. This classic style will keep you looking fabulous all summer long.
2. Straw Chambray Trilby Hat – Just as J Crew puts it “Dapper Defined” This classic straw woven hat sets the stage for a stylish summer. We’re obsessed with the chambray striped band.
3. Biltmore Panama Hat – This style hat may have been the gentlemen’s hat for centuries but it sure look on the ladies this seasons.
4. Floppy Hat with Decorative Scarf – The perfect hat for any outfit. Just pick your favorite scarf and viola your look is complete.
What hat will you be wearing this season?
Are you heading to the beach this summer, but not quite sure what to bring along? Check out SF’s beach bag essentials below! These great finds will have you ready to enjoy a relaxing vacation with the family and friends.
1. California Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen – Great sunscreen for anyone with sensitive skin. No chemicals and plenty of protection with SPF 30!
2. Coola Liplux SPF 30 – Keep your lips safe from the sun with this lip balm, perfect for the beach!
3. Lauren Ralph Lauren Beach Towel – Think about a designer beach towel this season. With so many styles to choose from, there’s no excuse to hit the beach with a plain old towel.
4. Shore Road Picnic Romper – Perfect for wearing on the sand as a bathing suit coverup, or to a dinner at the end of the day.
5. Fujifilm Weather-Proof Digital Camera – Capture the fun with this sand and waterproof camera. For you water enthusiasts, you can take even take photos at 16 feet under!
6. Ray-Ban Folding Aviators – Ray-Bans are our favorite glasses this year and now they’re even more convenient! Foldable and storeable, these glasses come with their own carrying case, making it easy to bring them along.
7. Apple iPod Shuffle – Who doesn’t love music at the beach? This perfect-sized player will have you jamming to your favorite playlist.
8. LL Bean Open-Top Boat and Tote Bag – Tried and true, nothing compares to the good ol’ LL Bean carry tote. Loved it back then, still a favorite today. With so many sizes to choose from, the extra large is perfect for all of your beach necessities.
This season, a lightweight flowing dress is a closet necessity, perfect for everyday outings, date nights, and parties. Check out five of our favorite must-have dresses for this season that are sure to have you looking your best:
1. Rachel Zoe Gown- Beau Ruffle Dress
2. Forever21- High Low Ditsy Floral Dress
3. Katie Ermilio- Draped 2-in-1 Dress
4. Woodblock Wonder- Strapless Dress
5. Madewell- Tunic Dress
We’d love to hear about your favorite summertime dress for this season!
As event detail experts, we are always inspired by patterns and design trends. While at the New York Stationery show last week we couldn’t help but notice so many great patterns popping up everywhere, especially chevron, one of our favorites. You’ll find this fun pattern in home, fashion and of course paper.
Loving these paper details? You can get them through Something Fabulous by contacting email@example.com
Who doesn’t love a fabulous picnic? We’ve put together a couple of our favorite summer picnic must-haves to give you everything you need for this fun afternoon outing:
1. Picnic basket: Check out outdoor posh for all your picnic and outdoor gear. With pages to choose from, this basket was our favorite. The classic blue gingham is the perfect picnic pattern.
2. Picnic blanket: We are loving Calypso‘s pink pom-pom throw. This flirty throw won’t only look great on the grass, but on your couch as well. Who doesn’t love a dual-purpose purchase?
3. Picnic outfit: J Crew knows how to do it right. Shirt dresses are all the rage – the panama hat and cherry-red striped flats create the perfect outfit for the perfect picnic.
4. Wine: What’s a picnic without a great bottle of wine? One of our top red wine picks is The Scribbler. This Cabernet Sauvignon & Shiraz wine comes from Australia’s most celebrated wine region, the Barossa. Picnic friendly feature – This bottle has a screw top so there’s no need to worry about packing a cork-screw. Pick up this tasty bottle at your local Whole Foods.
5. Sunglasses: For a sunny day at the park, everyone needs a great pair of sunglasses! We love these aviator Ray-Bans, they are the perfect compliment to the shirt dress.
We believe that supporting charitable organizations is always on-trend! Amani ya Juu, meaning “higher peace” in Swahili, is a project for marginalized women of Africa. The women learn practical skills (from sewing to marketing, purchasing, bookkeeping and more) as a way to improve their quality of life. Sara, one of our Fabulette’s, had the pleasure of attending this fabulous event last weekend, which combined a fashion runway show with music, dance and narrative to tell the powerful story of refugee women’s lives being transformed through the ministry of Amani. The 27-garment collection that was featured was created expressly for Amani Liberia by international designer and Bravo TV’s Project Runway Star, Korto Momolu.
If you would like to learn more and support the work of Amani, please visit www.amaniafrica.org. You can make a donation or purchase from their online boutique, where proceeds go directly back to the women of Amani, affording them a dignified, self-sustaining lifestyle. Go shopping for a good cause!
As the old adage goes,”April showers bring May flowers,” so you might as well make the most of it. Get on your favorite rain gear and bring on the rain!
Top 5 trendy ways to enjoy the rain:
1. Hunter Rain Boots: Everyone needs a great pair of rain boots, this (rainy) season we are loving Hunter’s original rubber in tangerine.
2. Jean Paul Gaultier Striped Umbrella: This umbrella is the perfect combination of fashion and function and makes rocking stripes that much more fun!
3. Alexander McQueen Retro Vinyl Shopper: This pink vinyl shopper is no ordinary bag – not only will it keep your valuables dry but it is sure to make a bold fashion statement.
4. Burberry Raincoat: The classic yellow raincoat is a must-have this Spring, combined with tangerine boots and a retro-pink shopper this look is sure to make a splash.
5. Singing In The Rain Movie: This timeless classic will no doubt get you into the “rainy” spirit, and now that you have all your gear, why not go “singing in the rain”?
For all you gals looking to combine trends, why not incorporate floral with country-chic. Lane Boots made this possible with their new Allie Boots, creating the perfect Springtime shoe. Wear it with short shorts, fun skirts or maxi dresses. One word: giddy-up!