Posts Tagged ‘2012’
Whether you’re picking up sparklers or going to see your local fireworks display, be sure to celebrate this fourth of July with a big bang!
Think About It Thursdays are an opportunity to learn something fabulous every week; a fresh perspective on an old stand by, a lesson learned or a tip to share – take a minute and just Think About It…
If you read yesterday’s post you learned how to create a custom kite. For some it’s a fun craft project but if you Think About It it’s a fun detail that can be incorporated into your baby shower decor and then transferred into your baby’s nursery. This fun DIY is a great way to incorporate some meaning behind your details and make a memory that will follow your baby into childhood.
Below you will see how we incorporated our DIY kite idea into a kite-themed baby shower:
For the mother and father to be, this design process was a particularly rewarding experience; the couple were able to select fabrics that matched with their nursery decor as well as choose patterns that reflected their personalities and style.
Invitations are a fun and creative way to tie in your DIY project with your theme. We incorporated the kite and kite fabric into all the centerpieces and paper details. We were able to play with color, texture, fabric and patterns with this kite inspired baby shower.
1. The Mommy and Daddy to be both chose pictures of themselves as children with their parents to use as table cards – note the kite accent detail.
2. You can never go wrong with a kite inspired cupcake and a candy licorice tail. Note: Ribbons to accent the clear cupcake package were selected to compliment the kite’s fabric.
3. These hand cut mini-kite place cards helped set the tone for the celebration. All mini-kites had matching fabric with the larger kites that soared above.
If you Think About It, this DIY project is a gift that keeps on giving. It’s not only a a fun project that you can do with family and friends, but a talking point for your shower and colorful detail piece for your nursery. After hearing back from this mother reflecting on her shower, she said the greatest gift was watching her daughter enjoy this kite and having a sentimental keepsake to always remember the special day.
Our SF team is always thinking about design and details and we are constantly searching for the next cool piece for our clients. Part of this process is finding what inspires us. As design-director and co-founder of Something Fabulous, Jennifer is always looking for great ideas and inspiration. Just like her pinterest board, Jennifer’s main source of inspiration comes from her love for fashion and how fashion trends transcend all aspects of life, be it clothing, make-up, home decor, baby or stationery.
Check out Jennifer’s inspiration board below so see what she is loving this month:
Feel free to send your inspiration to email@example.com – We’d love to highlight what you are loving this Summer!
Following our Love Story post on Monday, we were pleasantly surprised when a few of our wonderful followers sent us their own Father’s Day reflections:
1. Dave about his daughter, Samantha - A friend of mine was gripping one day that since having kids he doesn’t get to go out with the boys or party like he used to, and that, due to the kids, his life was pretty much over. I stopped in my tracks, just dumbfounded by his statement. I told him that while I can remember my single life, and I can remember dating then marrying my wife, those memories are like faded photos in a book. I told him that I didn’t really start living until Samantha was born. I live for her.
2. Mike about his daughter, Amelia – I’ll never forget the moment my beautiful wife, Kimberly, handed me a card that had a picture of a sleeping baby on the cover. Initially puzzled, I remember the elation I felt as the meaning of the cryptic verse she had written inside became clear – I was going to be a Dad! What swiftly followed was a rapid succession of other emotions: concern for Kimmie, doubts about my maturity and readiness, realization that my life was about to change, determination to prepare and adapt. Wow! I mean, WOW! Around 7 months later, I experienced a similar bewildering mix of emotions. We did not know beforehand whether we were going to have a boy or a girl, but the sleeping little newborn in my arms was quite clearly a girl! How on Earth was I going to cope with having a daughter? What kind of person would this fragile, vulnerable little bundle become? Are dirty diapers as bad as everyone says? I needn’t have worried. From the moment I saw her big, blue eyes and her pouting bottom lip, I was in love! Now nearly 7 years old, Amelia has grown into a cheerful, bright and beautiful little girl who sings wherever she goes, yet who debates like a lawyer. I still glow inside and smile every time I think of her! Through her, I have re-discovered my inner child and the art of having fun! My greatest pleasure is when I put her to bed each night, reading her stories then singing her to sleep with my guitar. Still, nothing can compare to the joy I feel when she hugs me and tells me “I love you, Dada!”. Being a Dad is such a wonderful thing!
3. Kurt about his daughter, Lindsay – It is a privilege to see the world from the perspective of a father. Experiencing the triumphs and defeats, and joys and sorrows with one’s child gives great strength to a man’s soul.
Our thanks go out to all the fathers who shared and we wish everyone a very happy Father’s Day!
As a follow-up to our DIFY post, we wanted to share one of our favorite inspiration finds. Check out SugarBoo Designs! These notebooks come in three styles: For My Beautiful Child, For the One I Love, and For My Dear Friend. Who doesn’t love fun, functional, and inspirational? Just as SugarBoo explains, “Each stub has its own lovely message. Tear off and scatter into the world as you please…tuck one under a pillow or inside a lunchbox! Throw one on a dashboard or sneak it into a pocket! String onto a gift or hide inside a book! Roll it up and float it out to sea! Anything is possible – anything can be!”
We believe in the power of surrounding yourself with positive thoughts and messages. What better way to D.I.F.Y than by filling your home and office with your favorite quotes and mantras, anything that inspires you in your everyday life.
For a DIY breakout tip, find a chalkboard decal from WallCandyArts or make your own, and change out your quote monthly.
There’s nothing like the love of a father for his child. It was touching to read these messages from fathers to their children in honor of this special day.
1. Kenny about his daughter, Joy - The first time I saw my first daughter, I wrote down a phrase on a piece of paper: “Finally, I have the chance to see you, little creature! Just by looking at you, my full body will melt!!!”
2. Tommy to his daughter, Winifred (Winnie) - Becoming a father is one of the most magical, emotional and proudest days of my life. I feel so blessed to be lucky enough to experience watching each day as my daughter Winnie blossoms into a beautiful soul. It’s the little moments with her that mean the most to me, like holding her asleep in my arms a few minutes longer before I put her down, watching her first everything and sharing with my wife the funny little things she did that made me laugh so hard I couldn’t help but share. I hold onto each and every smile, gaze and memory like a treasure. In this lifetime all I want to be is the best parent I can and to hold her hand and guide her through life, keeping her safe from harm and allowing her to shine like the sun.
3. William IV to his son, William V - “A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be, A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.” I thought I knew happiness and joy prior to the birth of my son, but I met them the day he was born. My son is truly the greatest gift this world has offered me and I am eternally grateful. My mission as a father is to raise my son to be the man that I was raised to be and to lead him with a firm, but gentle hand. I was blessed to have been brought up by what I deem the best dad in the world. My son carries his name and will always get all of the attention, direction, and love I have to give in order to prepare him to pave his own way, just as my dad did for me.
Reading these reflections warmed our hearts and we were excited to be able to share these endearing words of love with our readers. No matter what father figure you play, we’ve learned from above that the little moments are what fatherhood is all about. If you have a Father’s Day story or reflection, we’d love for you to share it with us.
This season, a lightweight flowing dress is a closet necessity, perfect for everyday outings, date nights, and parties. Check out five of our favorite must-have dresses for this season that are sure to have you looking your best:
1. Rachel Zoe Gown- Beau Ruffle Dress
2. Forever21- High Low Ditsy Floral Dress
3. Katie Ermilio- Draped 2-in-1 Dress
4. Woodblock Wonder- Strapless Dress
5. Madewell- Tunic Dress
We’d love to hear about your favorite summertime dress for this season!
If you have a brown thumb like us, we have found the perfect plant for you. Hen and Chicks are everywhere this season in bridal magazines, bouquets, and home decor. It’s the plant that keeps on giving. Once you have one hen, you will have chicks for years on end.
Working with Hen and Chicks is as easy as one, two, three:
1. Find a Hen at your local garden shop or ask a friend to share.
2. Gather an assortment of rocks in your garden and any type of soil – you don’t need much.
3. Find your favorite container. We tried combining teacups with other items just laying around the house!
Feel free to play around and get creative. There’s no wrong way to create a centerpiece, favor, or home decoration. Check out a couple of our fun ideas below:
Feel free to share how you have gotten creative with Hen and Chicks this season!
As event detail experts, we are always inspired by patterns and design trends. While at the New York Stationery show last week we couldn’t help but notice so many great patterns popping up everywhere, especially chevron, one of our favorites. You’ll find this fun pattern in home, fashion and of course paper.
Loving these paper details? You can get them through Something Fabulous by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org