Posts Tagged ‘dc’
Whether you’re picking up sparklers or going to see your local fireworks display, be sure to celebrate this fourth of July with a big bang!
Last week, in honor of Mother’s Day, we asked our Fabulous readers to share some photos and reflections on how motherhood has changed their lives, we were so touched with their responses and are so excited to tell each mom’s story…
1. “Motherhood brings out the love, patience, and faith I didn’t know that existed in me! The sheer sense of responsibility used to scare me about having kids. But now I realize they are definitely gifts from God! There are still hard days when you wrestle with rules and sleep deprivation, but every little hug and kiss makes it all worthwhile… I am simply amazed by God’s wonderful creation and am so thankful for the living miracles I see in my little ones everyday!” – Margaret (Taipei, Taiwan)
2. “What in my life hasn’t changed now that I’ve become a mom?! It’s great, but nothing is the same. Having a baby has definitely taught me to appreciate the small things in life… like a hot shower, sitting down to enjoy a good meal, and a full night’s sleep.” – Sara (Royal Oak, Michigan)
3. “It’s the little moments that I love the most about being a mom. Yes, watching Winnie learn to crawl and stand on her own are huge milestones and are amazing, but for me it’s the little moments that have melted my heart. Dancing with her in the living room, twirling her around and watching her face light up… She smiles so big when her daddy joins in and it’s these moments that bring me the most joy. I’m so grateful to have this beautiful little girl and to be reminded every day to take in the little moments, find beauty in the simple things and to know what truly matters in life.” – Jennifer (Fairfax, Virginia)
4. “In the eyes of my child everyday is a celebration and I am wonderful. She is still at an age that she is my biggest fan, and I cherish every day of that as I know it won’t last forever. She makes me want to be a better daughter to my mother. Amelia looks to me to solve her big problems ‘Mommy, I had an accident…’. I love taking care of her as well as taking the time to teach her. She hasn’t figured out yet that I am only human doing the best I can. The faith she shows me gives me the courage to try harder and the patience to try, try again. She has given my life joy and unconditional love in a way I couldn’t understand before her. Because of her I know that fairies are real, life is magical and chocolate IS a vegetable! Well, maybe not exactly… but, that’s my girl! ; ) “ – Kimberly (Rochester, Michigan)
Mother’s Day is an amazing day to honor moms, but the truth is that for most mothers, every day is “Mother’s Day”, and every day is a special day.
Everyday we come across fabulous finds that we love to share. Right now we are obsessed with brights and these sunglasses are right on trend.
Whether you are planning on celebrating at your favorite Mexican restaurant or spending the night in, what better way to get into the Cinco de Mayo spirit than with a delicious mango margarita. If you are feeling adventurous, try our favorite D.I.Y. mango margarita recipe that’s sure to dazzle and delight.
Top it off tip: To give your margarita that extra wow factor, don’t forget to rim your glass with a little bit of lime and dip it in fun flavored cocktail crystals. Be sure to check out your local grocer or specialty wine shop for a variety of rimmed flavors.
As creative people, nothing inspires us more than chatting with other creative people around us. What better way to share our knowledge of the design and planning industry than to ask our fellow experts on what they do best. Today we are excited to share some tips and inspiration from Longview Gallery‘s Events Director, Suzi Molak. After working in galleries and events for six years in New York, Suzi transitioned to life in D.C. where she oversaw the construction of Longview Gallery and drew up a model for how the venue would host events. Suzi believed in “showing the D.C. arts scene that a gallery doesn’t just have to be a gallery.” Anyone that has done an event at Longview Gallery knows how unique this raw space is. Having just coveted the front page spot of BizBash D.C.’s “Innovation Issue”, we thought what better time to introduce Suzi to our readers and have her share her expertise.
Click here to view an electronic copy of this issue.
Below You’ll Find Suzi’s Top 5 Tips To Consider When Looking for a Venue:
1. Initially – Be Brief
Your first contact with a venue should be in regards to cost and seating capacity. If these two items don’t work, there is no reason to explore further. Your time is precious and your list long – make it easy on yourself to narrow down your search.
2. Don’t be scared of a Venue Fee
Remember that Venues price themselves to be competitive. An all inclusive hotel- when you get down to the final numbers – might be relatively the same cost as a Venue where all items are brought in.
3. Have a Connection
You are going to be working with your vendors for a year or more. Make sure that you feel comfortable that you can ask them questions and that they take the time to explain them in a way that makes you feel secure. Strive for rapport.
4. Exclusive Vendors Should Not be a Deterrent
You want the best teams working together on your wedding or special event. If a venue has exclusive vendors, it means they have earned the right to be in that space, time and time again.
5. Early End Times are a Blessing in Disguise
Often times venues require an end time of 11pm. Moving locations later in the evening (hotel bar, or hotel suite fully stocked) will allow the guests who should go home do so, and the guests who should stay, continue your evening with you.
With our Creative Crushes we love to ask what gets their creative juices flowing. See the inspiration board below to get a glimpse of what Suzi is loving this month:
This week’s love story celebrates the centennial of the D.C. Cherry Blossoms! Originating from the 1912 gift of 3,000 cherry trees from Mayor Ozaki of Tokyo to the city of Washington, this annual celebration hosts more than a million people who admire the blossoming cherry trees along the Potomac tidal basin.
In honor of this fun time of year, why not add a little cherry blossom into your life.
Below are five great ways to incorporate the cherry blossom season:
1. Beautiful Bouquet: Can’t make it down to the cherry blossom festival this year? Fill your home with these beautiful blooms. If you can’t go to them, why not bring them to you.
2. Garland It Up: Check out etsy for paper garland cherry blossom inspiration! No need for it to be a party – why not celebrate the season for yourself. String these fun paper blossoms across your mantle, front door or chandelier to bring a bit of the cherry blossom festivities into your home. (Bonus feature: These blossoms have a shelf life of more than 7 days.)
3. Fashion Inspiration: If you don’t want to take a literal approach to the cherry blossom season, why not celebrate in pink tones. Cherry blossoms come in all shades – find your favorite chiffon or spring-flowing dress and incorporate the cherry blossom feel into your wardrobe.
4. Family Photo: Get the family dressed up and take a photo underneath the blooms. Not only is it a fun day out but it’s a lasting memory.
5. Plant a Tree: There is no better way to celebrate the season than to plant a cherry blossom tree for yourself or for someone you love. Check out your local garden center for information – we love Merrifield Garden Center.
Click here for a comprehensive list of all D.C. Cherry Blossom festival details!
Our new friends at Perfect Surroundings, Inc. inspire this week’s love story. We came across this family owned company at the CORT Lounge 22 event at the Four Seasons last week and immediately fell in love. We were truly inspired by their philosophy and work process because it coincides perfectly with the values that Something Fabulous hold true. For nearly thirty years, Perfect Surroundings, Inc. has integrated two-dimensional visual, interior, and graphic design to produce spectacular events internationally, bringing the company to the forefront of elite special event design firms (being design partners with CORT is just the tip of the iceberg). However, the Carbotti family at Perfect surroundings, Inc. understands that it’s more than just creating a pretty event; it’s about creating a life-long memory. Something Fabulous has always believed that life’s celebrations are what make any event special and it was so encouraging to meet a like-minded company. We love making our clients visions come true and giving them a day they will always cherish.
Quick tip: When finding a vendor for your event, it’s important to keep in mind that although a vendor may be in your price range and have the ability to produce what you are looking for, it’s important to meet and talk with whomever you may hire to make sure that your personality and values coincide. It’s not just about the end result but the entire event-planning experience.
Trying to figure out the perfect color scheme for your wedding? This season we are loving sea-foam green and cherry red. This color combination can lend itself to quirky and fun or romantic and sophisticated, depending on what fits your personality best.
We’d love to hear what color combos you are loving this spring!
Add some personality to your next event! We know you’ve seen chalkboards used as signage for menus, directions and seating, now it’s time to try adding your own design to this fun detail piece in five easy steps:
Step 1: Finding cool vintage frames. They come in all different shapes and sizes as well as ornamentation. Try scoping out Craig’s List, nearby garage sales, vintage stores or your grandmother’s attic.
Step 2: Once you’ve found some frames you love, remove the centerpieces and measure the inside of the frame for the board insert that you will be adding.
Step 3: Go to Home Depot or any hardware store and buy particle board (they will custom cut any sizes you need). Make sure the thickness is ¾ inches in diameter.
Step 4: Paint the smooth side of the particle board with chalkboard paint (this can also be purchased from Home Depot).
Step 5: Adhere the dried chalkboard into your frame.
Voila! You have created a customized and unique detail for your event.
Check us out every Wednesday for more DIY ideas. If you’d like to share some of your own clever DIYs we’d love to hear from you. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns this season. The combination of damask, polka dots and florals can easily add texture and dimension to your event space. Try incorporating different materials and colors that compliment each other. For instance, mixing monochromatic colors with metallic accents.