Posts Tagged ‘DIFY’
We believe in the power of surrounding yourself with positive thoughts and messages. What better way to D.I.F.Y than by filling your home and office with your favorite quotes and mantras, anything that inspires you in your everyday life.
For a DIY breakout tip, find a chalkboard decal from WallCandyArts or make your own, and change out your quote monthly.
Today’s D.I.F.Y. (Do It For Yourself) post is all about indulgence – we were having one of those crave-days at SF and decided to treat ourselves to a little afternoon delight. Always remember there’s nothing wrong with breaking the diet once in a while and indulging in a little sweet treat during the day. One word: Yum!
What better way to D.I.F.Y. on a cold, rainy Wednesday evening than to curl up on the couch with hot cocoa. We are loving this easy home-made hot cocoa recipe that is sure to warm you up for the night!
This hot cocoa recipe calls for two different kinds of chocolate and is whipped to frothy perfection with half and half cream for an extra rich cup of cocoa (marshmallows optional, but recommended for maximum tasty-ness):
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 8 tsp sugar
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tbs vanilla
1. Heat everything in a saucepan, except the vanilla, until the chocolate melts and the sugar dissolves
2. Pour half into a blender and mix until foamy
3. Return to the saucepan and add the vanilla
4. Stir briefly then serve (marshmallows optional)
With Spring here, what better way to enjoy a day off than taking a friend, loved one or entire family to visit the United States Botanic Garden (USBG). Steeped in history, rich with tradition, the United States Botanic Garden is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North America. The Garden highlights the diversity of plants worldwide, as well as their aesthetic, cultural, economic, therapeutic and ecological significance. The diversity of form, color, fruit, and fragrance reminds us that plants make our lives possible and enjoyable. So why not take a day and D.I.F.Y. and see what’s in bloom at the USBG!
Take the virtual tour to get a taste of what these grounds have in store for you!
With the Easter holiday coming up, it’s easy to get caught up in egg hunts, chocolate filled baskets and home decorating. In the midst of all the holiday fun, don’t forget to stop and do something for yourself! Holidays are a time of reflection, and what better way to be conscious of all that you have to be grateful for than with a gratitude journal. We’ve used this Catherine Price gratitude journal as a favor for our guests and for ourselves – it is the perfect gift for any occasion, even if the occasion is you. So don’t forget to take a moment and D.I.F.Y. (Do It For Yourself) this Easter!
To some brides, hiring a make-up artist for their wedding day seems like an unnecessary luxury. However, it’s important to weigh the benefits before making a final decision. To help answer the question of, “Do I need a make-up artist?” we asked Ana Buitrago, an established make-up artist who freelances for Mac and also owns her own company. Ana is always up on the current make-up trends and was kind enough to share a few tips for our readers. If you have an upcoming wedding and are conflicted about whether or not you want a make-up artist, here are a few tips from Ana to help you make your decision.
Six reasons you should D.I.F.Y. (Do It For Yourself) and hire a make-up artist for your wedding day:
- A make-up artist uses application techniques and products to ensure that your makeup will look flawless all day long
- A make-up artist will make sure all blemishes are properly covered, and can add a little extra to your look, such as faux lashes to bring out your eyes
- Your wedding day is a day to be pampered, and getting your makeup done should be a relaxing (not stressful!) experience
- A make-up artist will help you choose colors that best suit your skin tone and a style that fits your needs for your big day
- A make-up artist will only use makeup that looks good in pictures and won’t make your skin look washed out or muddy
- You’ve got your dream dress and you’re getting your hair done, so why not make sure your face is picture perfect also!
Should you decide to forgo hiring a make-up artist, here are some great D.I.Y. tips on doing your own bridal make-up:
- Choose a long-wearing foundation with good coverage that also looks good in pictures
- Choose an eyeliner and mascara that are waterproof just in case of happy tears
- Stay away from trend makeup for your wedding. Instead choose neutral eye shadow colors like bronze and mauve tones that never go out of style
- Use a lip liner before applying your lip color to add definition and staying power
- Use primers before applying your foundation and eye shadow to keep your makeup flawless all day
Should you have any questions you’d like to ask Ana, feel free to let us know or contact her directly: