Posts Tagged ‘Fashionista’
I drove down Woodward Avenue in a bit of a fog. It could have been the clearest, brightest, most perfect day on record, but the truth of this day was that the world would be gray for a while. Gray and LONG… at least a few hours of this day would be the longest hours of any day EVER. On this day, the reality of the battle hit harder than any of the other battle days. On this day, the magnitude of the entire seven months leading up to this day hit ME.
That day was January 31st, the day before my little sister’s 33rd birthday. If you ask her she will no doubt tell you a different story of that day, but for me that was the LONGEST day of the whole ordeal. It was the day I realized that the package my mother had called “my baby”, the one she had brought home to me 32 years and 364 days earlier was not indestructible. I could have told you before this day that she wasn’t perfect. Perfectly able to push every one of my buttons with expert skill – without a doubt. Perfectly expert in her designer heels from Nordstroms, Saks or wherever she disappears to under the guise of retail therapy, most definitely. Perfect – No. Not, perfect. But, Indestructible – Maybe, indestructible based upon years of sisterhood. Yet, that was before the longest day.
As I parked my car and went into wait, I sat with my mom and my brother-in-law. I felt sick, anxious and terrified. It was an outpatient procedure, but in these hours I realized that “my baby”, the one who never fails to let me know when “I’m being stupid” and always chimes in with an “I’d do it for you” whether I believe her or not – wasn’t replaceable.
In fact, it occurred to me that she was my first gift.
How many times in life do we receive a gift without acknowledging it’s significance or impact on our lives?
Today is a day to celebrate because today my sister is 5 years cancer free.
I hope it’s the longest day on record to date. And, as she plays with her new little baby daughter (same age as Jennifer in the picture above) and sits with my mom and my brother-in-law in her lovely home in a sunny part of the world. I will be here in Michigan soaking up the gray with a smile and with gratitude. And as I have been skillfully practiced in button pushing myself, whether she likes it or not. She IS the Fabulous in our Something – in the way only a trendsetting fashionista can be.
In Grace, with Gratitude and ALL of God’s blessing.
I love you, Jennifer and I am so glad you are my business partner, my friend, my sister and FREE!
ps. It turns out that the anticipated typical gray Michigan day is going to be sunny and 55 today. Now, that’s what I would call a sign!
Red is a universal color palette with shades for every skin tone. No matter your nationality or ethnic heritage there is a red that can define the beauty in you. No matter the event, from office functions to weddings, this bold color will have you turning heads.
While the trees may have lost their color, your lips don’t have to. Metro DC make-up artist, Neema Ali, shares her advice on how to wear this red hot trend this winter. ”A red lipstick must have is Ruby Woo by MAC cosmetics. This lip color will shade, define and stylize your lips all in one little black tube. It’s matte finish makes it long lasting so you don’t have to touch up after every sip of coffee. Unlike some reds, Ruby Woo is mixed with just the right balance of blue and orange.”
Jennifer, the fashionista of Something Fabulous, is loving Dior Addict Lipstick this December. We’d love to hear what shade you’re rocking this season.
I unplugged today. For a WHOLE twenty minutes, I loosened the grip of my hand on my Android, replaced the ear buds of my headset to their resting spot, folded my laptop into it’s home in the computer bag and went out into the sunshine for a walk around our neighborhood park.
A younger me would have first seen the shadows cast through the trees and the shimmers of sunlight peeking through them – an entry for my light journal. The more still me would have immediately noticed the folds of the bark on those trees and the texture of the elm leaves against the marvelously blue sky. But this me, the me I am today, first wondered if leaving my daughter 50 yards away with the parks and rec girl was a safe thing to do and then quietly marveled that I had just done something that everyone should do… and then began thinking about this post.
EXPERIENCES… how many do we miss every day because we are so connected that we aren’t present. Combine that reality of everyday with the emotional reality of life celebrations and the family dynamics that those celebrations can stir and you have a recipe for stress. So what is a person to do?
Cue the sunshine and bird song…
Unplug and get back to the process of your celebration, in our world that experience begins with the end in mind. Answer the following four questions, we have our customers write the answers down or we write them out in our Experiences Summary. Refer to the answers every time you start to feel overwhelmed or offtrack.
1. What is/are your objective(s) – This is the vision or memory of your day. What are you and/or your guests talking about the day after the celebration. “ That was a really great party, WOW, the food (band, dj, décor…) was AMAZING, “the bride’s dress was fabulous and the design was so different”, “that was the most intimate gathering of family and friends” What is YOUR vision/objective?
2.What do you require? The answer to this could be a game changer for the date, time, location of your celebration.
3. What are your preferences? Chivari chairs or ghost chairs, roses or peonies, satin or lace, etc. This is your wish list and it can grow and grow, so it’s good to know in the beginning what is important and how it matches up with question
4.Budget – everyone has one, what is yours? If you started with “I don’t know”, then the answers you come up with are going to help you figure one out. You might be over, you might be under and you might be surprised if you don’t answer this question.
Objectives, Requirements, Preferences, Budget will help you define and design your EXPERIENCE…
If you are planning with someone, be sure you understand the answers of your partner in planning. And, for the bride’s out there. It’s a good idea to do this FIRST before you begin dreaming about flowers and place settings. This way if you and your fiance are writing the checks you’ll understand what’s ahead of you, and if parents are helping no one will be caught in a surprise.
So, I dare you to UNPLUG… turn off the computer, dock your iPhone, stash your headset, iPod, magazines and party day-planner.
I guarantee it will be uncomfortable at first. Just as a picture is worth a thousand words, being present for the whole process of your celebration is worth a thousand memories.
No matter the season or the occasion you can always celebrate with a tent party! Check out our expert tips below to get you started on planning your next tent event.
Photo by Michael Bennett Kress Photography
1. Selecting the right tent. There are many different style tents so when selecting your tent option keep in mind the atmosphere you are trying to create as well as the number of guests you will be accommodating. Work with your tent vendor to provide you with a diagram for your space. Often tent rental companies will provide diagrams of how many people each size tent will seat. These diagrams will make sure that you don’t end up with an empty or crowded space.
2. Spray for bugs at least three weeks prior to your event. You want your guests to be buzzing about your event not the uninvited guests. Most pest control companies now have an organic option. Whether you choose to do it on your own or hire a pest control specialist MTB Pest Control. Spraying is always a good idea!
3. Make sure you have adequate means of controlling the temperature. If your event is in the colder months you should look into heaters. If your hosting a summer event make sure to have plenty of fans or air-conditioning units. In addition to keeping your guests cool fans will also help keep bugs away. Classic Party Rentals is located in Metro DC and have these items available for rent.
4. Lighting a tent is absolutely crucial to any tent party and can be key to creating an inviting atmosphere. Overhead lighting is a fun and interesting way to add personality to your tent event, keep in mind when adding lighting from above you’re also increasing your budget. However, there are many clever ways and great options for lighting these days. From lanterns to LED’s, lighting adds to the atmosphere of an event space and guests will appreciate the extra illumination as the evening progresses.
Photos by Arising Images Photography
5. Try decorating the perimeter and interior of the tent. Overhead lighting or decor can be labor intensive and therefore costly if you don’t have the right equipment. String lights or ribbons around a tents perimeter can add a fanciful feel and are easy to connect to power cords. Decorating in and around the tent can save time and money. Focus on the details by adding interesting linens and chairs that fit your personal style or furniture and lamps for a little extra effect.
6. Finally, don’t forget the sidewalls. Not every tent rental includes sidewalls and not every tent company will remind you of this, but we think it’s a crucial item to have on hand. Whether you are blocking wind, rain or trying to keep the air or heat in. The few extra bucks you may be charged will make the few bucks you’ve already spent go a little further in keeping your event space exactly how you want it. Dry, comfortable and fabulous!
We would love to hear about your last event! Send us your favorite snapshots from your last tent party!
Pantone, the leading expert on color trends, determined honeysuckle to be the 2011 color of the year. We’ve been playing with this color all season. Check out these great ways to brighten your world with this hot pinkish hue.
Honeysuckle can be easily incorporated into your life we’ve been inspired by many great designs.
If you are looking to add a little more punch to this already powerful pink pair it with turquoise, these two colors are the perfect combination. Let us know how you are using honeysuckle and check back later to see the 2012 color of the year!
70′s glamour is everywhere from fashion, home decor to event design. Get your groove on with some of our 70′s hot picks. Rachel Zoe jumpstarts the trend with the release of her new line this July that includes several wide-legged pantsuits.
The key to nailing this look is to keep in mind key color palettes, avoid the urge for neon and instead look for more earthy colors. Also let that wavy beach hair down and re-discover your favorite maxi-dress so you can hit the streets in style. Don’t let this trend stop at the streets bring it into your home and event design.
Incorporating some vibrant wallpaper or throw pillows are a great way to bring this trend home and make it personal.
Don’t be the only person sport this trend share your great taste with your friends. Gather your gals and host your own 70′s inspired movie event! Break out all the classics and get your groove on with this playlist that will have you ready to confidently walk the streets in 70′s stlye. Let us know how you are celebrating this trend!
Here at Something Fabulous bows have been tieing up our thoughts. The bow trend which originally began in the Victorian Era is back with a vengence. Check out some of our favorite finds below and send us some of your favorites or post to our Facebook wall! We’d love to hear from you!
Summer sun brings some great new additions to your beach bag. Hats and hair accessories are the best way to turn your messy beach hair into something fabulous. Hats are a great way to brighten your beach look as well as keep you safe from those hot rays.
If you are looking for something a little different try some of these sea inspired hair accessories. Barrettes and wraps are and easy way to get that breezy,beautiful beach hair without missing a single wave.
Add the final touch to your beach chic look by learning a new hairstyle. Braids are fun and easy with so many new styles to learn. The fishtail braid is always popular, accent with your favorite head wrap or hat to create your beach chic style.
Celebrate your day off by heading to the beach in style! We’d love to hear some of your favorite beach accessories!
Summer heat has everyone looking for ways to cool off and kickback . Here are some perfect drink recipes to guarantee people are talking about your party well into the fall- a perfect excuse to round up your friends and catch up on everyone’s latest summer travels. Try something fresh with this fruity Sangria recipe, courtesy of Bianca Torres and Casey Kopchinski.
1.5 bottle of dry white wine
4 cups of Berry Seltzer
2 20oz bottles of Green Tea
2 cups of frozen berries
2 cups of frozen peaches
1 added .5 cup of orange liquor
If you are still looking for something crisp, Mojitos are the fix. This drink is the perfect blend of sugar and spice that will leave all your guests purely delighted.
6 ounces of light rum
12 mint springs or 8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons of sugar
4 slices of Lime
top off with Club Soda
No summer party is complete without a fresh glass of Lemonade, so make sure to include this lime twisted cocktail as part of your drink menu. Try this awesome recipe, appropriately named Absolutly Fabulous.
3 ounces of Lemonade
1 ounce of Lime
3 ounces of Orange Juice
2 ounces of Peach Schnapps
2 ounces of Absolut Vodka
If your guests are left wanting an unusual dessert give them something with a punch- adult popsicles are always a hit! We found some great drink ideas in the book Perfect Pops by Charity Ferreira. Make sure to check it out.
We would love to hear some more of your favorite summer drink recipes, so please send them our way!
Flowers are popping up everywhere this season, and are no longer just found in your garden.
Floral is finding a distinctive place in the fashion world this summer, from the runway to the streets, summer dresses are a must have addition to any wardrobe.
Brides have already caught on to this bold trend. Add a small broche or take a risk by incorporating floral throughout your gown. This is a trend you don’t want to miss.
This trend is sparing no one. Cakes have caught on quickly as well. Integrate your bridal colors and floral designs into your cake. Everyone will not only love the way it tastes, but will be in awe of its beautiful creative design.
If you are looking to get inspired and haven’t quite discovered your floral scape, check out Flowers for the Home: Inspiration from the World by Prudence Designs, an interesting read for anyone looking for some fresh insight.
“I’d rather have flowers on my table than diamonds on my neck.” Emma Goldman