Posts Tagged ‘Trends’
Our Fabulous find comes from our friends at Soliloquy Bridal . Every Wednesday, now through August, they are giving their clients the chance to save. Upon entering, brides will be greeted and asked to draw a “wild card”. Their card will reveal between 10 and 25 percent savings on ANY purchase over 100 dollars. You can save on your couture bridal gown, veil, bridesmaid dresses or all of the above. We can’t wait to hear what you find!
I drove down Woodward Avenue in a bit of a fog. It could have been the clearest, brightest, most perfect day on record, but the truth of this day was that the world would be gray for a while. Gray and LONG… at least a few hours of this day would be the longest hours of any day EVER. On this day, the reality of the battle hit harder than any of the other battle days. On this day, the magnitude of the entire seven months leading up to this day hit ME.
That day was January 31st, the day before my little sister’s 33rd birthday. If you ask her she will no doubt tell you a different story of that day, but for me that was the LONGEST day of the whole ordeal. It was the day I realized that the package my mother had called “my baby”, the one she had brought home to me 32 years and 364 days earlier was not indestructible. I could have told you before this day that she wasn’t perfect. Perfectly able to push every one of my buttons with expert skill – without a doubt. Perfectly expert in her designer heels from Nordstroms, Saks or wherever she disappears to under the guise of retail therapy, most definitely. Perfect – No. Not, perfect. But, Indestructible – Maybe, indestructible based upon years of sisterhood. Yet, that was before the longest day.
As I parked my car and went into wait, I sat with my mom and my brother-in-law. I felt sick, anxious and terrified. It was an outpatient procedure, but in these hours I realized that “my baby”, the one who never fails to let me know when “I’m being stupid” and always chimes in with an “I’d do it for you” whether I believe her or not – wasn’t replaceable.
In fact, it occurred to me that she was my first gift.
How many times in life do we receive a gift without acknowledging it’s significance or impact on our lives?
Today is a day to celebrate because today my sister is 5 years cancer free.
I hope it’s the longest day on record to date. And, as she plays with her new little baby daughter (same age as Jennifer in the picture above) and sits with my mom and my brother-in-law in her lovely home in a sunny part of the world. I will be here in Michigan soaking up the gray with a smile and with gratitude. And as I have been skillfully practiced in button pushing myself, whether she likes it or not. She IS the Fabulous in our Something – in the way only a trendsetting fashionista can be.
In Grace, with Gratitude and ALL of God’s blessing.
I love you, Jennifer and I am so glad you are my business partner, my friend, my sister and FREE!
ps. It turns out that the anticipated typical gray Michigan day is going to be sunny and 55 today. Now, that’s what I would call a sign!
With the New Year here, a few of us at Something Fabulous wanted to take a moment to share with you our new year’s resolution. We’ve put a twist on this classic tradition and instead of focusing on what needs to be perfected we’ve decided to focus on the positive little things in our lives that brighten our day.
Kimberly (the Gypsy) – It’s not in getting but in giving that we receive. Finding ways to support charity organizations reduces my stress, enriches my days and makes me happy. New friends, new lessons learned, new projects with purpose… life changing!
Jennifer (the Fashionista) – My happy moment comes with a perfectly brewed cappuccino. First thing in the morning, when the house is still silent, it’s the perfect time to take a minute for myself and be grateful for each new day.
Joy (the Doodler) – Nothing makes me smile like a creamy piece of dark chocolate. It’s that little pick me up that always manages to perk up my day. My advice for you? Put “eat chocolate” at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you’ll get one thing done : )
We would love to hear how you are going to D.I.F.Y. this year!
Red is a universal color palette with shades for every skin tone. No matter your nationality or ethnic heritage there is a red that can define the beauty in you. No matter the event, from office functions to weddings, this bold color will have you turning heads.
While the trees may have lost their color, your lips don’t have to. Metro DC make-up artist, Neema Ali, shares her advice on how to wear this red hot trend this winter. ”A red lipstick must have is Ruby Woo by MAC cosmetics. This lip color will shade, define and stylize your lips all in one little black tube. It’s matte finish makes it long lasting so you don’t have to touch up after every sip of coffee. Unlike some reds, Ruby Woo is mixed with just the right balance of blue and orange.”
Jennifer, the fashionista of Something Fabulous, is loving Dior Addict Lipstick this December. We’d love to hear what shade you’re rocking this season.
What better way to start off the holiday season than attending the nutcracker! With it’s magical sets and beautiful costumes you will be transcended into another time and place.
The Nutcracker production lies at the heart of the holiday season. Whether it is a family tradition or a once-in-a-lifetime visit, your experience of this glittering classic ballet will stay with you forever. From the moment the lights dim, you will be transported to a magical place filled with marching toy soldiers, a glowing one-ton Christmas tree that seemingly grows forever, mischievous mice, crystalline waltzing snowflakes and the Land of Sweets.
Something Fabulous loves traditions and this seasonal delight is on the top of our list. Visit the Nutcracker clip to see what this performance has in store for you. Tickets are selling fast be sure not to miss out on the holiday fun.
Something Fabulous recently had the pleasure of designing a market space at this year’s NYC Bridal Fashion Week. Liv Hart, Accessories Designer and Founder of Enchanted Atelier and Aruna Seth, London based shoe designer were two of our clients. You may have seen Liv’s work featured in your favorite couture bridal magazine. As for Aruna, she is a favorite among Hollywood Celebrities as well as British Royalty having designed Pippa Middleton’s shoes for the Royal Wedding. These two lovely ladies and their beautiful work inspire us.
Couture accessories have never seen this much sparkle. Easily add some glam to your wedding with a jewel studded sash, swarovski necklace or french lace cap.
We really did feel like kids in a candy store when we got a behind the scenes tour of Martha Stewart’s office. It was an experience to see her headquarters. In fact, we are wondering why OUR offices can’t have a test kitchen and a bigger inspiration board!
As the month of Thanksgiving approaches, we are humbled by the many things, opportunities and friends for which we are grateful.
On November 1st, we have the honor of joining our dear friend Nicole Wolf in a debut event for Up From Under.
We will let the videos tell the story.
Up from Under exists to break the barrier between those in need and those who desire to serve. Whether building homes, providing refuge, or empowering those in need to rise stronger, Up from Under believes when the value of one life is understood, change can begin.
“We—me and you—are strong and courageous. We can withstand what life throws our way. But we are bravest when we stand beside another—lending strength to the weak. We are fullest when we empty ourselves to another—even a perfect stranger. In these moments: When we lift up, support, and encourage, true change begins—in our spirit, in their lives”. – Nicole Wolf
It’s the month of Thanksgiving. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for ticket information or to donate. We thank you!
I unplugged today. For a WHOLE twenty minutes, I loosened the grip of my hand on my Android, replaced the ear buds of my headset to their resting spot, folded my laptop into it’s home in the computer bag and went out into the sunshine for a walk around our neighborhood park.
A younger me would have first seen the shadows cast through the trees and the shimmers of sunlight peeking through them – an entry for my light journal. The more still me would have immediately noticed the folds of the bark on those trees and the texture of the elm leaves against the marvelously blue sky. But this me, the me I am today, first wondered if leaving my daughter 50 yards away with the parks and rec girl was a safe thing to do and then quietly marveled that I had just done something that everyone should do… and then began thinking about this post.
EXPERIENCES… how many do we miss every day because we are so connected that we aren’t present. Combine that reality of everyday with the emotional reality of life celebrations and the family dynamics that those celebrations can stir and you have a recipe for stress. So what is a person to do?
Cue the sunshine and bird song…
Unplug and get back to the process of your celebration, in our world that experience begins with the end in mind. Answer the following four questions, we have our customers write the answers down or we write them out in our Experiences Summary. Refer to the answers every time you start to feel overwhelmed or offtrack.
1. What is/are your objective(s) – This is the vision or memory of your day. What are you and/or your guests talking about the day after the celebration. “ That was a really great party, WOW, the food (band, dj, décor…) was AMAZING, “the bride’s dress was fabulous and the design was so different”, “that was the most intimate gathering of family and friends” What is YOUR vision/objective?
2.What do you require? The answer to this could be a game changer for the date, time, location of your celebration.
3. What are your preferences? Chivari chairs or ghost chairs, roses or peonies, satin or lace, etc. This is your wish list and it can grow and grow, so it’s good to know in the beginning what is important and how it matches up with question
4.Budget – everyone has one, what is yours? If you started with “I don’t know”, then the answers you come up with are going to help you figure one out. You might be over, you might be under and you might be surprised if you don’t answer this question.
Objectives, Requirements, Preferences, Budget will help you define and design your EXPERIENCE…
If you are planning with someone, be sure you understand the answers of your partner in planning. And, for the bride’s out there. It’s a good idea to do this FIRST before you begin dreaming about flowers and place settings. This way if you and your fiance are writing the checks you’ll understand what’s ahead of you, and if parents are helping no one will be caught in a surprise.
So, I dare you to UNPLUG… turn off the computer, dock your iPhone, stash your headset, iPod, magazines and party day-planner.
I guarantee it will be uncomfortable at first. Just as a picture is worth a thousand words, being present for the whole process of your celebration is worth a thousand memories.
No matter the season or the occasion you can always celebrate with a tent party! Check out our expert tips below to get you started on planning your next tent event.
Photo by Michael Bennett Kress Photography
1. Selecting the right tent. There are many different style tents so when selecting your tent option keep in mind the atmosphere you are trying to create as well as the number of guests you will be accommodating. Work with your tent vendor to provide you with a diagram for your space. Often tent rental companies will provide diagrams of how many people each size tent will seat. These diagrams will make sure that you don’t end up with an empty or crowded space.
2. Spray for bugs at least three weeks prior to your event. You want your guests to be buzzing about your event not the uninvited guests. Most pest control companies now have an organic option. Whether you choose to do it on your own or hire a pest control specialist MTB Pest Control. Spraying is always a good idea!
3. Make sure you have adequate means of controlling the temperature. If your event is in the colder months you should look into heaters. If your hosting a summer event make sure to have plenty of fans or air-conditioning units. In addition to keeping your guests cool fans will also help keep bugs away. Classic Party Rentals is located in Metro DC and have these items available for rent.
4. Lighting a tent is absolutely crucial to any tent party and can be key to creating an inviting atmosphere. Overhead lighting is a fun and interesting way to add personality to your tent event, keep in mind when adding lighting from above you’re also increasing your budget. However, there are many clever ways and great options for lighting these days. From lanterns to LED’s, lighting adds to the atmosphere of an event space and guests will appreciate the extra illumination as the evening progresses.
Photos by Arising Images Photography
5. Try decorating the perimeter and interior of the tent. Overhead lighting or decor can be labor intensive and therefore costly if you don’t have the right equipment. String lights or ribbons around a tents perimeter can add a fanciful feel and are easy to connect to power cords. Decorating in and around the tent can save time and money. Focus on the details by adding interesting linens and chairs that fit your personal style or furniture and lamps for a little extra effect.
6. Finally, don’t forget the sidewalls. Not every tent rental includes sidewalls and not every tent company will remind you of this, but we think it’s a crucial item to have on hand. Whether you are blocking wind, rain or trying to keep the air or heat in. The few extra bucks you may be charged will make the few bucks you’ve already spent go a little further in keeping your event space exactly how you want it. Dry, comfortable and fabulous!
We would love to hear about your last event! Send us your favorite snapshots from your last tent party!
Pantone, the leading expert on color trends, determined honeysuckle to be the 2011 color of the year. We’ve been playing with this color all season. Check out these great ways to brighten your world with this hot pinkish hue.
Honeysuckle can be easily incorporated into your life we’ve been inspired by many great designs.
If you are looking to add a little more punch to this already powerful pink pair it with turquoise, these two colors are the perfect combination. Let us know how you are using honeysuckle and check back later to see the 2012 color of the year!